09 Sep 2019
Our Artists and Designers

William Farquhar

During his tenure as the first Resident and Commandant of Singapore (1819 - 1823), he commissioned a group of local Chinese artists to depict the local flora and fauna. The collection comprises 477 watercolour drawings commissioned by William Farquhar, during his prior tenure as Resident of Melaka. Farquhar subsequently donated these paintings to Royal Asiatic Society in London (during 1827). In 1933, the collection was put up for auction and purchased by Mr G.K Goh, who donated the entire collection to National Museum of Singapore in 1955.